I’m for gun ownership. Possession of a gun isn’t a problem if the person using it is responsible and stable. I think there needs to be a national gun ownership licensing program. You have a license to drive your car, you should have a license to own and use your gun. Like my conservative friends like to say, people need to take personal responsibility and I see my proposed National Gun License Program as a way for people to stand up and show that they’re responsible gun owners and their weapons won’t ever wind up in the hands of someone who uses it to murder others.
- That license should be granted after you take tests proving you know how to use a gun safely and that you are stable and rational and not a danger to others.
- You should have to pay a fee for the license, based on the type and number of guns you own.
- You should have to renew it by taking the same tests and paying the same fee once every single year. The entire program should be paid for by the license fees.
- If you are caught with a gun you do not have a license for, you should lose the right to have a gun license, go to prison for ten years and be fined $50,000.
- If you lose a gun, you must report it immediately. Failure to do so should result in the loss of your right to have a gun license and a $50,000 fine.
- If your gun is used in the commission of a crime, you should go to prison, pay a $50,000 fine and lose the right to have a gun license.
- If you use a gun to commit any crime, you should face an additional sentence of 10 to 15 years in a federal prison.
- If a minor uses a gun of yours and harms another person, even accidentally, you should lose your right to own guns and be fined $50,000.
- Sales of guns outside of federally regulated gun stores should be illegal and punishable by prison sentences and enormous fines.
- If you sell a gun and/or ammunition to a person who uses them in the commission of a crime, you should be liable for damages in a civil court.
Now, some folks will think these provisions are too harsh or just unfair. Perhaps they should tell that to the families of the dead in Newtown, Aurora, Charon, Oak Park, Tucson, Columbine, Norcross, Manchester and many more American cities and towns who’ve had their citizens mowed down by guns wielded by madmen.
You got some other idea? Feel free to share it in the comments below.