Everyone knows the job market is tough these days. Even if things are starting to improve, it’s hard to know whether you’re lucky just to get a job offer, or whether you should push for a better starting salary.
“If you are a strong candidate for an opening,” says Career Coach John Long, of Two Roads Resources, “your work commands a fair salary. But what is the definition of fair?”
Long offers a few key rules when negotiating a salary:
- Do your homework before you speak.
- Negotiate from a friendly position.
- Carefully consider all the elements of the employment package.
- Bargain for added benefits.
- Be prepared to walk away.
For more insight into these rules, check out John’s blog post Negotiating Salary with the Job Offer.